Not only do many job seekers do the same thing over and over, expecting different results….when the going gets tough, they do MORE of the same thing, expecting different results.
These are some examples of insanity that continue to be used by many job seekers.
- Expecting a recruiter will do their job search for them
- Believing that your network will provide value to you, even if you aren't continuing to provide value to them
- Confusing a headhunter with a coach
- Continuing a job search strategy based on paper resumes
- Writing a one page, or even a two page resume
- Forgetting to describe how you've already solved a key problem your target company currently has
- Using your resume for more than a single job application
- Customizing cover letters, when they aren’t included in database searches
- Use Linkedin to talk to someone about their company, then turn it into an ambush interview
- Forgetting that your resume is just one more email in the hundreds your network contacts get each day
- Spend time at all the local Chamber of Commerce networking events, while targeting a Fortune 500 job
- Poor use of Resume Real Estate
- Not describing on your resume why a hiring manager should consider you over thousands of competitors
- Writing your resume as an autobiography
- Placing too much reliance on your current network
- Describing about what you managed and were responsible for instead of what you accomplished
- Mailing or faxing a paper resume
- Defining yourself as a generalist
- Blaming the system, instead of changing your tactics to beat the system
- Applying for more than 20 jobs per week
- Junk mailing or email spamming your resume to thousands of recipients
- Forgetting that your voice mail is just one more voice mail in the hundreds your contacts get each day
Ask yourself honestly, how many of these are you using in your job search?
If it’s time for you to stop the insanity and change your tactics to try something new, you'll find alternatives to each of these insane examples in this blog. If you can't find them via the search box in the upper left corner, just comment and I'm happy to provide links to direct you.
Page: <1> <2>
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email. or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Would You Stop Looking for a Job Already? Best of reCareered
How to Rise Above Resume Hell: Best of reCareered
Email your request to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".