Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 4-9-10.
For the past week manufacturing, government, technology, retail, financial services, and health care employers announced the largest layoffs.
Read more ...
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Manufacturing announced the largest layoffs, as Smithfield Foods announced 1,400 layoffs for the John Morrell plant in Sioux City IA. Government revealed cutbacks with The State of New Jersey announcing 1,300 layoffs, The Maryland House and Senate cut 500 positions, and the Fort Bend Independent School District revealed job cuts affecting 470 employees.
Technology was next as Computer Associates cut 1,000 jobs throughout its US operations. While a number of retail companies are hiring, SuperValu/Biggs closed 5 stores in the Cincinnati area, causing 547 layoffs.
Financial services also has a number of companies that are hiring, but HSBC Card Services disclosed layoffs of 465 employees, and Pan American Mortgage revealed it will let 443 employees go. In health care, Pharma company Sanofu-Avebtis revealed 400 layoffs.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 4/5/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 4/9/10:
- Smithfield Foods (John Morrell Plant), Sioux City IA (1,400)
- State of New Jersey, Various NJ (1,300+)
- Computer Associates (CA) Inc, Various US (1,000)
- SuperValu/Bigg's, Cincinatti OH West Chester OH, Harrison OH, Milford OH, Florence KY (547)
- Maryland House and Senate, Baltimore MD (500)
- Fort Bend Independent School District, Sugar Land TX (470)
- HSBC Card Services, Inc, Tulsa OK (465)
- Pan American Mortgage LLC, Chicago IL (443)
- Sanofi-Aventis, Various US (400)
- University of Colorado School System, Denver CO (338)
- Connextions Inc, Concord NC (300-350)
- Missouri Department of Mental Health, Fulton MO (300)
- Buffalo NY area school districts (300)
- The Marlin Firearms Co, New Haven CT (265)
- Garguilo Inc, Firebaugh CA (262)
- Unisys Corporation, Austin TX (250)
- EnerCrest, Sibley LA, Big Piney ND, Williston ND, Rifle CO, and Greeley CO (225)
- ConAgra Foods, Prosser WA (218)
- Lynx Aviation, Denver CO (200)
- Garland USA, Freeland PA (200)
- City of Reno NV (> 200)
- Haemonetics Corp, Chicago IL, and Phoenix AZ (170)
- Washington State Health and Recovery Services Administration, Various WA (160)
- BAE Systems, West Manchester Township PA (150)
- Guilford Performance Textiles, Greensboro NC (150)
- Bank of America, Ferguson Township PA (150)
- Terrebonne and Lafourche Parish Schools, Houma LA (150)
- ITT Corp, Rochester NY and Roanoke VA (< 145)
- CertainTeed, Mountain Top PA (140)
- Office Depot, Westampton PA (135)
- Aacer Flooring, LLC, Peshtigo WI (131)
- Chart Industries, Plainfield IN (130)
- United Bus Corp, Coram NY (130)
- Idaho Department of Health and Welfare (DHW), Various ID (126)
- Exide Technologies, Laureldale PA (125)
- Anthem Blue Cross / Shield of Missouri, Cape Girardeau MO (125)
- CSX, Raceland KY (120)
- Commercial Metals Co, Jacksonville FL (112)
- Printpack, Farmingdale NY (109)
- Knauf Insulation, Shelbyville IN (100)
- AT&T Corp, Birmingham AL (100)
- Central Maine Power, Portland ME (100)
- Live Nation Inc, Los Angeles Ca (100)
- Assumption Parish School, Assumption Parish LA (96)
- Wolf River Lumber, New London WI (91)
- Carilion Labs, Charlotte NC (90)
- Bay Shipbuilding Co, Sturgeon Bay WI (89)
- Counterforce , Houston TX (83)
- Harry & David, Medford OR (80)
- The City of Palo Alto CA (75)
- Mayer Brown, Various US (75)
- Abington Memorial Hospital, Fort Washington PA (75)
- Ivy Asset Management LLC (BNY Mellon subsidiary), Jericho NY (72)
- City of Chandler AZ (72)
- Pfizer, Chazy NY (71)
- The Marana Unified School District, Marana AZ (70)
- Atlantic Express of MO, St. Louis MO (70)
- Hilti USA, Tulsa OK (64)
- Centennial schools, Central Pines MN (56)
- Pleasantville School District, Pleasantville NJ (52)
- Ruch Distributors, Albany NY (51)
- The University of Illinois Extension Service, Various IL (46)
- Porterville Unified School District, Porterville CA (46)
- Talisman Energy, Horseheads NY (43)
- Roscoe Steel & Culvert, Billings MT, Missoula MT, Casper WY (40)
- Scituate Schools, Scituate MA (< 40)
- Wells Fargo, NYC NY layoff (37)
- Cambridge schools, Cambridge MA (35)
- The Children's Aid Society, NYC NY (33)
- City of Flagstaff AZ (33)
- Regional School Unit 13, Rockland ME (31)
- Oshkosh Area School District, Oshkosh WI (31)
- State of New Hampshire, Various NH (30 - 35)
- Irvington NJ Police and Fire departments, Irvington NJ (30)
- New Castle Schools, New Castle IN (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email. or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Who’s hiring – Top employers week of 4-5-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs week ended 4-2-10
Career Changers: Send your resume to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".