Who's Firing summarizes weekly research of companies announcing and rumoring layoffs for the week ended 4-23-10.
For the past week government, defense, manufacturing, automotive, business services and aerospace employers announced the largest layoffs.
Read more ...
This information is intended for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting. The information can be valuable to job seekers also, to understand companies that are probably not in growth mode.
Government topped the list this week and continued as the big story. 30 local governmental units and school districts announced layoffs this week, affecting thousands of workers. We may see more of this as we approach the end of the school year as well as government fiscal years - Governments and school boards have to finalize budgets for next year and announcing related layoffs. The top 5 layoff announcements were government/school districts, and the 6th was defense as Lockheed Martin revealed 472 employee cuts.
Manufacturing was next as Owens Illinois announced 402 job reductions in Clarion PA. Automotive cut additional positions, with Chrysler announcing 389 layoffs between operations in Twinsburg OH and Orlando FL. Business services also has a number of companies that are hiring, but NCO Customer Management disclosed layoffs of 332 Yuma Arizona employees. Aerospace also was in the top layoff announcements, as they will release 300 employees around the US.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 4/19/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 4/23/10:
- Detroit Public Schools, Detroit MI (2,000)
- City of San Jose CA (1,300)
- The Cleveland Schools, Cleveland OH (800)
- City of Los Angeles CA (750)
- Cobb County School District, Marietta GA (734)
- Lockheed Martin, Various US (472)
- Broward County School District, Ft. Lauderdale FL (461)
- Owens Illinois, Inc, Clarion PA (402)
- Chrysler, Twinsburg OH and Orlando FL (389)
- NCO Customer Management, Yuma AZ (332)
- Boeing Inc, Various US (300)
- AVI Foodsystems, Inc, Kutztown PA (260)
- Rodman, LLC, Frisco TX (242)
- City of Norfolk VA (230)
- Unisys Corp., Austin TX (229)
- Raytheon Missile Systems, Tuscon AZ (225)
- Pinnacle Entertainment, St Louis MO (220)
- City of Reno NV (211)
- Yakima WA (200)
- Ann Arbor School District, Ann Arbor MI (190)
- Temple-Inland, Glendale AZ and Evansville IN (183)
- VNA Services, Inc, Hamden CT (171)
- CMC Joist & Deck, New Columbia PA (166)
- Dawn Foods, Crown Point IN (160)
- Raley's, West Sacramento CA (153)
- Thomson Reuters, Independence OH (132)
- LA County, Los Angeles CA (130)
- Gilbert Public Schools, Gilbert AZ (130)
- CRGT, Inc, Fort Belvoir VA (115)
- Marana Unified School District, Marana AZ (113)
- Columbus City Schools, Columbus OH (113)
- USAA, San Antonio TX (109)
- BillMatrix Corp, Dallas TX (107)
- Knauf Insulation GmbH, Shelbyville IN (100)
- Harley-Davidson, York PA (100)
- The Lafourche School, Thibodaux LA (100)
- City of Joliet IL (100)
- Aviat US, Inc, San Antonio TX (96)
- WM Coffman, Marion VA (92)
- Fort Wayne Community Schools, Fort Wayne IN (91)
- Teleperformance, Grindstone PA (87)
- SelectBuild, LLC, Glendale AZ (77)
- DRS Technologies, Johnstown PA (70)
- City of St Louis MO (71)
- The Wake County Schools, Raleigh NC (68)
- Top Markets, DuBois PA (65)
- State of Nebraska, Various NE (60)
- Regional Elite Airline Services LLC, Milwaukee WI and Madison WI (57)
- San Clemente Schools, San Clemente CA (57)
- Cumberland County, Bridgeton NJ (55)
- Ricoh Business Solutions, Irving TX (53)
- UTI Integrated Logistics Inc, Salisbury NC (53)
- Pfizer, Durham NC (50)
- The Mansfield City Schools, Mansfield OH (50)
- Fresno State, Fresno CA (46)
- Rochester School District, Rochester MN (44)
- Perrysburg School District, Perrysburg OH (43)
- Flint Schools, Flint MI (42)
- The Temecula Valley Unified School District, Temecula CA (40)
- Regional Transit Sacramento, Sacramento CA (37)
- Asbury Park Schools, Asbury Park NJ (36)
- Sega, San Fransisco CA (36)
- Valmont Industries, Hazleton PA (30)
Source: Google, Twitter, AllPinkSlips.com, Telonu.com, TechCrunch.com, CoStar.com, Gawker, Screwedd.com, Recessionwire.com
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email. or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Who’s hiring – Top employers week of 4-19-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs week ended 4-16-10
Career Changers: Send your resume to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".