Who's Firing is a weekly survey of organizations announcing (or rumoring) layoffs for the week ended 3/12/10.
Not only is this valuable for job seekers, but for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting.
Read more ...
Top layoffs announced and rumored this week were in the Energy, Government, Education, Publishing, Health Care, and Manufacturing sectors.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 3/8/10. Overall, this weeks layoff list was shorter and fewer companies announced large layoffs than in prior weeks.
Chevron announced 2,000 layoffs to take place this year, leading this week's list of layoffs. Local governments continued to announce layoffs with Westchester county announcing 1,600 job cuts.
Education continued to cut jobs led by the Kansas City School District's decision to shutter 50% of its schools and layoff 700 workers. Newspapers continued to react to the increase of internet based news content, as the Honolulu Advertiser announced 600 job cuts. Reversing national trends, Jewish Hospital and St. Mary's Healthcare announced a total of 500 layoffs. Electric Boat in Groton CT cut 395 positions.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 3/12/10:
- Chevron Corporation, Various US (2,000)
- Westchester County, White Plains NY (1,600)
- Kansas City School District, Kansas City MO (700)
- The Honolulu Advertiser, Honolulu HI (600)
- Sacramento City Unified School District, Sacramento CA (555)
- Jewish Hospital and St. Mary's Healthcare, Louisville KY (500)
- Hoffman-La Roche Inc, Various NJ (500)
- Missouri Department of Transportation, Various MO (400)
- Electric Boat, Groton CT (395)
- Hugo Boss Cleveland, Inc, Brooklyn OH (338)
- City of Toledo OH (300)
- Denman Tire, Braceville Twp OH and Austintown OH (275)
- Exelixis Inc, South San Fransisco CA (270)
- CACI Technologies, Fort Bliss TX (264)
- Ceva Logistics, Plainfield IN (250)
- C. Bean Transport Inc, Fort Smith AR (208)
- IBM, Research Triangle Park NC (202)
- The Minnesota Department of Human Services, St Paul MN (200)
- The Mt. Diablo School District, Concord CA (200)
- Ford Motor Credit Co, Franklin TN (200)
- Ingersoll Rand, Athens PA (200)
- The Oceanside Unified School District, Oceanside CA (<200)
- Leap Wireless, Various TX (180)
- Northrop Grumman, Hagerstown MD (180)
- Murrieta Valley Unified School District, Murrieta CA (177)
- Cosmetic Essence, LLC, Teterboro NJ (167)
- The Pasadena Unified School District, Pasadena CA (164)
- Sony Music Holdings, Inc, Pitman NJ (162)
- Anaheim City School District, Anaheim CA (157)
- Community Unit School District, Carpentersville IL (151)
- Convergys Customer Management Group, Killeen TX (150)
- Bombardier Inc, Bath NY (140)
- Maxon Furniture Inc, Salisbury NC (132)
- Worldcolor Oberlin, Oberlin OH (119)
- Keystone Food Poultry Division, Birmingham AL (118)
- Wilbert Plastic Services, Winthrop IA (117)
- XenoPort Inc, Santa Clara CA (111)
- Sierra Pacific Industries, Chinese Camp CA (110)
- Research Analysis & Maintenance (RAM) El Paso TX (104)
- Mahoning County, Mahoning OH (101)
- Lear-Siegler Mobility Center, New Boston TX (100)
- Accomack County's Public Schools, Accomack VA (100)
- City of Las Vegas NV (100)
- Madera Unified School District, Madera CA (100)
- Communications Services, Lemoore CA (97)
- Jackson Plastics, Nicholasville KY (96)
- Decrane Aerospace Precision Patterns, Savannah GA (90)
- General Dynamics Robotic Systems, Westminster MD (90)
- Dresser Inc, Tioga LA (86)
- CommScope, Newton NC (85)
- Walnut Valley Unified School District, Walnut CA (84)
- The Daily Press, Newport News VA (<84)
- BAE Systems, Jessup PA (82)
- Allied Systems, Ridgefield NJ (78)
- Zebra Technologies, Camarillo CA (75)
- NRG Energy, Middletown CT, Montville CT, Milford CT and Norwalk CT (70)
- CCH Small Firm Services, Ft. Pierce FL (67)
- Best Buy, Milwaukee WI (62)
- The Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District, Santa Monica CA (61)
- Cintas Corp, Mason OH (55-60)
- Dow Jones, Monmouth Junction NJ (47)
- Glendora Unified School District, Glendora CA (47)
- Celestica, Mt. Juliet TN (43)
- CareCentric Business Solutions, Jamestown ND (42)
- City of Annapolis MD (33)
- Morgan Hill Unified School District, Morgan Hill CA (32)
- Barstow Unified School District, Barstow CA (32)
- Bourns, Inc, Janesville WI (30)
- AbitibiBowater, Catawba SC (30)
- Harris County TX (30)
- Dewey & LeBoeuf, Various US (30)
- Union County Schools, Union SC (<30)
- Howery, Various Worldwide (25 - 30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email. or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Who’s hiring – Top employers week of 3-8-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs weeks ended 2-26-10 and 3-5-10
Career Changers: Send your resume to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".