Who's Firing is a weekly survey of organizations announcing (or rumoring) layoffs for the week ended 2/19/10.
Not only is this valuable for job seekers, but for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting.
Read more ...
Top layoffs announced and rumored this week were in the Pharmaceuticals, Government, Retail, Insurance, Manufacturing, and Education sectors.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 2/15/10. It is interesting to note that while Federal hiring is on the rise, a number of State and Local governments continued to face cutbacks for over the past quarter, led by City of Los Angeles, and Jersey City NJ job cuts.
Pharmaceuticals led layoffs this week, with Merck announcing layoffs of 15% of its workforce as it consolidates with Pfizer post-merger. Retail also announced major cutbacks - Shaw’s Supermarkets, a Connecticut grocery chain, announced it was closing or selling its locations affecting 2,200 employees statewide.
Humana Insurance announced 1,400 layoffs in a cost cutting move. Manufacturing was hammered as Boeing announced over 1,000 layoffs at manufacturing locations in Seattle, St. Louis and California. Ford and Anheuser Busch also announced large layoffs.
Again this week, Education was hard hit by layoffs, as numerous school districts announced major layoffs due to reduced state and real estate tax funding.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 2/19/10:
- Merck, Various Worldwide (8,300)
- City of Los Angeles CA (3,000)
- Shaw's Supermarkets, Various CT (2,200)
- Humana Insurance, Louisville KY (1,400)
- Boeing Corp, Seattle WA, St Louis MO, Various CA (1,020)
- Ford Motor Corporation, Flat Rock MI (900)
- Anheuser Busch Corp, St. Louis MO and Various US (450)
- Lodi Unified School District, Lodi CA (400)
- Sony, Dothan AL (320)
- Emerson Climate Technologies, Hartselle AL (320)
- St. Vincent's Hospital, NYC NY (300)
- Highmark Inc, Pittsburgh PA (300)
- Jersey City NJ (278)
- Florida A&M University, Tallahassee FL (< 247)
- Rexam Plc, Constantine MI (240)
- Pepsi Co, Pryor OK (200+)
- Gunite Corp, Elkart IN (225)
- Trane Residential Solutions, Ft. Smith AR (200+)
- Redbox Automated Retail LLC, Downers Grove IL (200)
- Covidien, Oriskany Falls NY (185)
- Cleveland RTA, Cleveland OH (185)
- Casino MonteLago, Lake Las Vegas NV (170)
- Life Technologies Corp, Camarillo CA (150)
- Medina School District, Medina OH (150)
- Cal State East Bay, Hayward CA (140)
- Pomona Unified School District, Pomona CA (143)
- Colton Joint Unified School District, Colton CA (141)
- Richmond School District, Richmond VA (138)
- URS Corp, Birmingham AL (134)
- Apple Valley Unified School District, Apple Valley CA (131)
- Pajaro Valley Unified School District, Watsonville CA (130)
- HealthMarkets, North Richland Hills TX (130)
- Bumble Bee Foods, Prospect Harbour ME (128)
- All-American Homes, Dyersville IA (100)
- Indiana University, Bloomington IN (100)
- State of Minnesota, Various MN (100)
- Arlington County VA (87)
- TransCore, Clifton Forge VA (86)
- AmMed Direct Inc, Nashville TN (85)
- CSC Applied Technologies LLC, Memphis TN (68)
- California State University. San Francisco, CA (60)
- Family Healthcare Network, Tulare and Kings Counties CA (60)
- Zales Corporation, Irving TX (60)
- City of Flint MI (57)
- San Joaquin Delta College, Stockton CA (56)
- Endicott Interconnect, Endicott NY (55)
- Oral Roberts University, Tulsa OK (50)
- San Marino Unified School District, San Marino CA (43)
- Salem Hospital, Salem OR (43)
- Victaulic, Forks Township PA (35 – 40)
- City of Union Township NJ (30)
- City of Tampa FL (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email.
or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Related Articles: Who’s hiring – Top employers week of 2-15-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs weeks ended 2-12-10
Career Changers: Send your resume to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".