Who's Firing is a weekly survey of organizations announcing (or rumoring) layoffs for the week ended 2/5/10.
Not only is this valuable for job seekers, but for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting.
Read more ...
Top layoffs announced and rumored this week were in the Pharmaceuticals, Retail, Entertainment, Government, Technology and Insurance sectors.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 2/1/10. It is interesting to note that while Federal hiring is on the rise, a number of State and Local governments continued to face cutbacks for over the past quarter, led by City of Los Angeles, and Wayne County Michigan job cuts.
Pharmaceuticals led layoffs this week, as Glaxo Smith Kline announced layoffs of 4,000 people in the US and Europe. Retail also announced major cutbacks, as Movie Gallery (Hollywood Video) announced layoffs of thousands as the company declared bankruptcy and restructured operations including many store closures.
Entertainment was to be hard hit by layoffs, as NYC Off Track Betting closed numerous locations and laid of 1,320 staff. In technology, DST Systems announced 700 furloughs. Aetna also announced cutting 625 staff.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 2/5/10:
- Glaxo Smith Kline, Various US and International (4,000)
- Movie Gallery Inc, Various US (several thousands)
- NYC Off Track Betting Corp, Various NY (1,320)
- City of Los Angeles CA (1,000)
- DST Systems Inc, Kansas City MO (700)
- Wayne County MI (700 Furloughs)
- Aetna Inc., Hartford CT (625)
- Namco Bandai, Santa Clara CA (600)
- GMAC Inc, Costa Mesa CA, Charlotte NC, Knoxville TN (554)
- Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc, Los Angeles CA (550 total)
- The Lithonia Lighting Co, Cochran GA (500)
- Corona-Norco Unified School District, Corona CA (<400)
- DAL Global Services, Philadelphia PA (385)
- Diebold Inc, North Canton OH (350)
- Walmart Stores Inc, Bentonville AR (300)
- Armstrong Hardwood Flooring Co, Oneida TN (260)
- Mueller Water Products, Inc./U.S. Pipe and Foundry Company LLC (U.S. Pipe), North Birmingham AL (260)
- West Customer Managment Group, Hampton VA (255)
- CB&I Island Park Fabricating Facility, Beaumont TX (250)
- Crothall Services Group, Valhalla NY (235)
- Delta Airlines, Cincinnati OH (225)
- CompuCredit, Atlanta GA (200)
- Teleperformance, Pensacola FL (176)
- Republic Airways, Indianapolis IN (175)
- Semperian, Knoxville TN (170)
- United States Postal Service (USPS), Charlottesville VA (170)
- The Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, Monterey CA (167)
- Riverside School District, Riverside CA (160)
- Ames Safety Envelope Co, Somerville MA (150)
- Siligan Plastics Corp, Port Clinton OH (150)
- Louisiana State University Interim Public Hospital, New Orleans LA (144)
- Mega-Color, LaVergne TN (140)
- Maine Township Schools, Des Plaines IL (137)
- AeroThrust Corp, Miami FL (129)
- Alvord schools, Alvord CA (128)
- NAL Worldwide, Plainfield IN (126)
- State of Missouri, Various (120)
- Bay Shipbuilding Co, Sturgeon Bay WI (116)
- Wellpoint, Ashwaubenon WI Office (111)
- Coca Cola Plant, Jonesboro AR (110)
- Coachella Valley Unified School District CA (104)
- CBS News, Various US (100)
- HowreyLLP, various US (94)
- Gunlock Confirms, Wayland NY (85)
- Wyndham Vacation Ownership, Margate FL (83)
- American Airlines, Inc, Los Angeles CA (80)
- Middletown Associates LLC, NYC NY (79)
- Gibraltar Strip Steel Inc, Cheektowaga NY (78)
- Lemont-Bromberek Combined School District 113A, Lemont IL (70)
- Steelcase, Gaines Township MI (65)
- GM Warehouse, Jacksonville FL (64)
- Adidas America, Portland OR (<60)
- Rainbow Studios, Phoenix AZ (60)
- PNC Financial, Cleveland OH (58)
- Regions Financial Corp, Birmingham AL (58)
- Schoeneman Beauty Supply, Pottsville PA (57)
- Mamaroneck School District, Mamaroneck NY (54)
- Quality Assured Services, Orlando FL (50 – 60)
- BCI Coca Cola Bottling Co, Woodland WA (51)
- The Crystal Cathedral, Garden Grove CA (50)
- TranSwitch Corp, Shelton CT (50)
- Arvin Sango, Inc, Merced CA (48)
- Gap International Sourcing Division, Miami FL (47)
- Birds Eye Veneer, Butternut WI (44)
- Florida Blood Centers, Miramar FL, Lake Park FL (42)
- Martin Marietta Composites Inc, Sparta WI (40)
- Infogroup, Omaha NE (40)
- Apria Healthcare, Indianapolis IN (32)
- Telford Group Inc, Bangor ME (30)
- Mountain West Research Center, Pocatello IL (30)
Source: Google, Twitter, AllPinkSlips.com, Telonu.com, TechCrunch.com, CoStar.com, Gawker, Screwedd.com, Recessionwire.com
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email.
or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Who’s hiring – Top employers week of 2-1-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs weeks ended 1-29-10
Career Changers: Send your resume to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".