Who's Firing is a weekly survey of organizations announcing (or rumoring) layoffs for the week ended 2/12/10.
Not only is this valuable for job seekers, but for business analysts, corporate strategists, marketers, salespeople, investment analysts, financial advisers, and others who are interested in companies that are contracting.
Read more ...
Top layoffs announced and rumored this week were in the Manufacturing, Biotech, Government, Transportation, and Education sectors.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 2/8/10. It is interesting to note that while Federal hiring is on the rise, a number of State and Local governments continued to face cutbacks for over the past quarter, led by City of Los Angeles, and Chicago Transit Authority job cuts.
Manufacturing led layoffs this week, as NUMMI announced layoffs of 4,700 people as plant closure was finalized in the wake of GM & Toyota troubles. Biotech also announced major cutbacks, as Boston Scientific announced layoffs of thousands as they prepared for patent expiration on some of its major products.
Education was hard hit by layoffs, as numerous school districts announced major layoffs due to reduced state and real estate tax funding. UPS also announced cutting 300 pilots.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 2/12/10:
- NUMMI, Fremont CA (4,700)
- Boston Scientific, Natick MA & worldwide (<1,300)
- City of Los Angeles, CA (1,200-2,000)
- Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago IL (1,000+)
- The Long Beach Unified School District, Long Beach Ca (754)
- San Juan Unified School District, Carmichel CA (616)
- Jordan School District, West Jordan UT (500)
- Twin Rivers Foods, Neosho MO (485)
- Textron Inc, Providence RI (350)
- Karyleion, Inc, Huntington Park CA (348)
- Johnson Controls, Inc, Livermore CA (321)
- Los Angeles Court System, Los Angeles CA (300)
- Creekside Mushrooms, Inc, West Franklin PA (300)
- Forest Park Hospital, St Louis MO (300)
- UPS, Various US (300)
- Massachusetts Department of Transportation, Boston MA (250)
- Empire Aero Center, Rome NY (203)
- Hawaii Department of Human Services, Honolulu HI (200)
- Lake Elsinore USD, Lake Elsinore CA (200)
- West Corp, Omaha NE (193)
- Trim Masters, Inc, Modesto CA (186)
- Stanley-Bostitch, East Greenwich RI (165)
- Core Molding Technologies, Columbus OH (156)
- Silgan Plastics Corp, Port Clinton OH (154)
- Trans States Airlines, St. Louis MO (150)
- Sam's Club, Vista CA (149)
- Android Industries, Flint MI (138)
- Fort Wayne Foundry Corp, Columbia City IN (135)
- Centralized Laboratory Services (CLS), Long Island City NY (135)
- Mapa Spontex, Columbia TN (132)
- Lear Corp, Fenton MI (122)
- Edo Reconnaissance & Surveillance Systems, Morgan Hill CA (116)
- Vestas Americas, Portland OR (114)
- Providence Schools, East Providence RI (105)
- Palm Harbor Homes Inc, Albemarle NC (110)
- Redbarn Pet Products, Inc, Long Beach CA (106)
- Toyota Tsusho America, Fremont CA (104)
- Pelco, Clovis CA (104)
- Ingersoll Rand, Forestville CT (100+)
- Interstate National Dealer Services Inc, Uniondale NY (100)
- The Louisiana Community and Technical College System, Various LA (100)
- TFE Logistics Group Retail Convergence Inc, Hebron KY (92)
- Continental Structural Plastics, North Baltimore OH (90)
- Riverside Cement, Oro Grande CA (82)
- Patriot Industries, Monticello KY (80)
- Consumers Energy, Jackson MI (80)
- ABM Janitorial Services, Fremont CA (77)
- The Indiana Department of Child Services, Various IN (75-80)
- Millstone Power Plant, Waterford CT (75)
- Fashion Star Inc, Lowell GA (70)
- AAA Hoosier Motor Club, Indianapolis IN (61)
- Luxottica Group, Cincinnati OH (60)
- Verizon Corporate Services, Mission Hills CA (59)
- K-Mart, Connersville IN (59)
- RTI Electronics, Anaheim CA (57)
- The Sylvan Schools, Modesto CA (50)
- Cardinal Health, Indianapolis IN (49)
- Dartmouth College, Hanover NH (38)
- The City of Oklahoma City, OK (37)
- Coca Cola, Austin TX (34)
- Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers of New York, New York NY (32)
- RSU School Board, Kennebunk ME (30)
Source: Google, Twitter, AllPinkSlips.com, Telonu.com, TechCrunch.com, CoStar.com, Gawker, Screwedd.com, Recessionwire.com
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email.
or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Who’s hiring – Top employers week of 2-8-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs weeks ended 2-5-10
Career Changers: Send your resume to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".