Top Layoffs week ended 10-8:
Pharmaceuticals topped the list, as Sanofi-Aventis announced 1,700 layoffs throughout the US, due to the upcoming expiration of patent protection on some of its top revenue producers. Also, Express Scripts is cutting 503 employees in Bensalem PA. Entertainment came in second as Atlantic City Casinos released 1,400 staff.
Technology was next as Dell decided to close it’s largest manufacturing plant, and let go 900 Winston-Salem NC workers. Government employers announced some large layoffs as The State of Washington cut 726 employees and Albuquerque Public Schools laid off 500 staff.
Transportation rounded out the list as Atlantic Paratrans is laying off 610 workers after losing the MTA contract and AAR Mobility cut 282 Cadilliac MI workers.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 10/4/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 10/8/10:
- Sanofi-Aventis, Various US (1,700)
- Atlantic City Casino, Atlantic City NJ (1,400)
- Dell Inc, Winston-Salem NC (900)
- State of Washington, Olympia WA (725)
- Atlantic Paratrans, Queens NY (610)
- New York City Off Track Betting, Saratoga Springs NY (550)
- Albuquerque Public Schools, Albuquerque NM (500)
- Express Scripts, Bensalem PA (503)
- Whirpool, Ft. Smith AR (300)
- AAR Mobility Systems, Cadillac MI (282)
- TeleServices Direct, Greenwood IN (260)
- Navistar International, Springfield IL (250)
- Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville AL (< 250)
- Ford Motor Co, Indianapolis IN (249)
- Progress Transit, Mill Basin NY (244)
- General Electric, West Burlington IA (243)
- Missouri Department of Transportation, Jefferson City MO (201)
- Sikorsky Aircraft, Stratford CT (200)
- National Envelope Corp, Leneza KS (200)
- Beaulieu of America, Royston GA (192)
- Viking Yacht Company, New Gretna NJ (175)
- University at Albany, Albany NY (160)
- AT&T Corp, Reynoldsburg OH and Wall Township NJ (146)
- Windstream Communications, Newton IA (146)
- ImClone Systems Corp, Branchburg NJ (141)
- Regency Hospital/Select Medical Corp, Alpharetta GA (124)
- United Health Care Group, Huntingdon Valley PA (115)
- Chicago Packaging Co. and Quality Color Graphics, Elk Grove Village IL (114)
- Trane, Ft. Smith AR (109)
- Key Wester Fish and Pasta House, Naperville IL (106)
- Patriot Antenna Systems, Albion MI (100)
- Sitel Corp, Longview TX (98)
- Hines Nurseries, Forest Grove OR (96)
- Orion Technology Inc Anniston AL (94)
- ACS Xerox Co, Atlanta GA (93)
- Trostel Ltd, Whitewater WI (87)
- Ziplocal, Orem UT (80)
- Churchill Downs Inc, Louisville KY (64)
- Kane County Health Department, Aurora IL (62)
- BaySys Technologies, Wallops Island VA (60)
- North Las Vegas Detention Center, Las Vegas NV (< 58)
- NexTier Bank, Butler PA (57)
- Kent County, Grand Rapids MI (56)
- UFE Inc, El Paso TX (55)
- Harrington, Moran Barksdale Inc, Chicago IL (51)
- Agua Caliente (50 - 60)
- Dillard's Inc, Little Rock AR (50)
- International Speedway, Dayton Beach FL (~ 50)
- The City of Dallas TX (46)
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory, La Canada Flintridge CA (45)
- American Concrete Pipe, Green Bay WI and Milwaukee WI (45)
- Stark County, Canton OH (40 - 50)
- Boston Public Library, Boston MA (40)
- City of Mount Prospect IL (35)
- USA Today, San Fransisco CA (35)
- The Peninsula Plywood mill, Port Angeles WA (35)
- The Research Foundation of SUNY Buffalo State College, Albany NY (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Page: <1> <2>
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email.
or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Who’s Hiring – Top employers week of 10-4-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs week ended 10-1-10
To enroll in our upcoming free group teleseminars or to receive reCareered’s newsletter, just fill out the simple form at http://recareered.blogspot.com/p/free-resources.html .