Top Layoffs week ended 10-29:
Manufacturing topped the list, as United Technologies announced 2,000 layoffs to offset costs related to the shutdown of a jet engine overhaul facility, and Ford Foundry is laying off 300 Beech Park OH workers. Government was next as Savannah River Nuclear Solutions (a DOE contractor) announced it would layoff 1,400 workers by 2012 as it completes work under economic stimulus funds. New York State announced the layoff of 898 employees throughout New York State by year end.
Health care is feeling the pinch, as West Penn Allegheny Health System is cutting 400 Pittsburgh area workers. Aerospace company Hawker Beechcraft is letting go 350 Wichita workers, citing slowing demand for small airplanes.
Retailer CVS Caremark is cutting 300 customer service personnel at its Woonsocket RI facility. Finally, financial service firm DJSP Enterprises is laying off 300 mortgage workers in its Plantation FL offices.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 10/25/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 10/29/10:
- United Technologies Corp, Hartford CT (2,000)
- Savannah River Nuclear Solutions, Aiken SC (1,400)
- NY State, Various NY (898)
- West Penn Allegheny Health System, Pittsburgh PA (400)
- Hawker Beechcraft, Wichita KS (350)
- CVS Caremark, Woonsocket RI (300)
- Ford Foundry, Brook Park OH (300)
- DJSP Enterprises, Plantation FL (300)
- Credit Suisse Group, NYC NY (250)
- Newark NJ Sanitation Department (250)
- Constar International Inc, Orlando FL and Kansas City MO (250)
- Granite Construction, Watsonville CA (227)
- New Process Gear, DeWitt NY (220)
- Pella Corp, Fairfield OH (200)
- Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, Atlantic City NJ (200)
- Cincinnati OH Fire Department (169)
- KraftMaid Cabinetry, Middlefield OH and Orwell OH (145)
- Southern Steel & Wire, Fort Smith AR (117)
- Main Line Health, Wynnewood PA and Bryn Mawr PA (98)
- Yadkin Valley Financial Corp, Elkin NC (64)
- Pfizer, Sanford NC (60)
- Carondelet Health Network, Tuscon AZ (47)
- Ash Grove Cement Co, Montana City (33)
- Erickson Living, Catonsville MD (30)
- MPI Research (20 - 50)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Page: <1> <2>
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email.
or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Who’s Hiring – Top employers week of 10-25-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs week ended 10-22-10
To learn about upcoming reCareered webinars and receive our newsletter, just fill out the simple form at http://recareered.blogspot.com/p/free-resources.html .