Top Layoffs week ended 9-3:
Job cuts continued to stay down this week as only 36 organizations announced layoffs of over 30 or more employees - this is down from 60-70 per week during most of 2010.
Banking topped the list, as HomeEq services announced over 1,000 layoffs affecting it’s North Highlands Ca and Raleigh FL centers. Agriculture came in second as Monsanto is cutting 650-700 employees.
Health Care was next as the Metropolitan Jewish Geriatric Center is trimming over 500 workers and Baptist Medical Center laid off 186 employees. Auto Manufacturer General Motors announced 330 job cuts.
Defense wasn’t spared from layoffs as Northrup Grumman announced they would trim approximately 300 staff members spread across 2 locations, BAE announced 133 layoffs and General Dynamics announced cuts of 132.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 8/30/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 9/3/10:
- HomEq Services, North Highlands CA and Raleigh FL (1,166)
- Monsanto Corp, Various US (650-700)
- Metropolitan Jewish Geriatric Center (MJGC), Brooklyn NY (506)
- General Motors Powertrain, Flint MI (330)
- Northrop Grumman, Avondale LA and Tallulah LA (300)
- Aviat Networks, Durham NC (190)
- Baptist Medical Center, Jackson MS (186)
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, Chattanooga TN (140)
- BAE Systems, West Manchester Township PA and Aiken SC (133)
- General Dynamics, Westminster MD (132)
- City of Long Beach CA (130)
- URS Federal Services (Lear Siegler), Fort Hood TX (111)
- Overhead Door, Athens GA (111)
- City of Lynwood WA (100+)
- Danfoss Chatleff, Buda TX (94)
- Affiliated Computer Services, Atlanta GA (93)
- Moll Industries, Asheboro NC (91)
- Bank of America, Lincoln RI (89)
- The Deseret News, Salt Lake City UT (85)
- Raytheon, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton VA (82)
- Roseburg Forest Products, Dillard OR (70)
- Fiskars, Sauk City WI (65)
- Duro Bag Manufacturing, Hudson WI (63)
- Toshiba America Consumer Products, Wayne NJ (60)
- ShoreBank, Chicago IL (60)
- Skookum Fleet Management, Fort Lewis WA (50)
- SAIC, Piscataway NJ (49)
- Memorial Hospital, Gulfport MS (47)
- Grand Street Settlement, Brooklyn NY (44)
- Queens Library, Jamaica NY (44)
- Pied Piper Pet Foods, Hamlin TX (43)
- Spa Chakra Acquisition Corp, NYC NY (42)
- Hilton Hotels, Memphis TN (36)
- Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort, Chester WV (35)
- Schneider Electric, Knightdale NC (30)
- TriMont Real Estate Advisors, Atlanta GA (30)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Page: <1> <2>
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email.
or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Who’s Hiring – Top employers week of 8-30-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs week ended 8-27-10
Career Changers: Email phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".