Top Layoffs week ended 9-10:
Job cuts were way down the third week in a row as only 36 organizations announced layoffs of over 30 or more employees - this is about 1/2 of the pace most weeks of 2010.
Food Service topped the list, as Aramark services announced over 1,000 layoffs affecting its Baltimore employees at Oriole Park - preparing for a potential loss of the Oriole’s vendor contract. Defense came in second as Lockheed Martin is cutting 600 executives and BAE is laying off 300 workers at yet another of its plants, this one in West Chester OH.
Health Care was next as Columbia University at Harlem Hospital Center is trimming 593 workers, and NYC’s Health and Hospital Corporation announced a second round of 300 additional layoffs. Pharma companies Sanofi cut 412 and ZymoGenetics cut 320 employees, both due to post-merger cost cutting. .
Manufacturing wasn’t spared from layoffs as United Solar Ovonic announced they would trim approximately 285 staff members in Auburn Hills MI.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 9/7/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 9/10/10:
- Aramark at Oriole Park, Baltimore MD (613)
- Lockheed Martin, Bethesda MD (600)
- Columbia University at Harlem Hospital Center, New York NY (593)
- Sanofi Aventis US, Malvern PA (412)
- ZymoGenetics, Seattle WA (320)
- Health and Hospitals Corporation, NYC NY (300)
- BAE Systems, West Chester Township OH (300)
- United Solar Ovonic LLC, Auburn Hills MI (285)
- GE, Winchester VA (200)
- Harley-Davidson Inc, Menomonee Falls WI (200)
- Oregon Youth Authority, Salem OR (200)
- Tessada & Associates Inc, Houston TX (166)
- Mosaic Corp, Bradenton FL (143)
- ImClone Systems, Branchburg NJ (141)
- St. Michaels School, Tunkhannock PA (136)
- Bridgeview Aerosol, Bridgeview IL (136)
- The Consolidated Biscuit Co, Chattanooga TN (132)
- Karsten Homes/CMH Manufacturing, Breckenridge TX (130)
- Lonza Inc, Conshohocken PA (106)
- Long Island Rail Road, Jamaica NY (100)
- United Refrigeration Inc, Philadelphia PA (88)
- Siemens, Columbus OH (88)
- PNC Financial Services Group, Chicago IL (83)
- The City of Inglewood CA (80)
- Heritage Manor, Beardstown IL (72)
- America's Best Bottled Water, Hauppauge NY (67)
- Deaconess Hospital of Cincinnati, Cincinnati OH (65)
- Cruise West, Seattle WA (65)
- Kmart, Brooklawn NJ (63)
- The Daily Freeman, Kingston NY (61)
- NextTier Bank, Butler PA (57)
- AT&T, Wall Township NJ (50)
- The City of Pasco FL (43)
- NYSE Euronext, Brooklyn NY (37)
- Save Mart Supermarkets, Modesto CA (36)
- UMass Memorial Health Care, Worchester MA (70 - 80)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Page: <1> <2>
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email.
or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Who’s Hiring – Top employers week of 9-7-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs week ended 9-3-10
Career Changers: Email phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".