Top Layoffs week ended 9-24:
Job cuts were down for the past four weeks as less than 40 organizations announced layoffs of over 30 or more employees - this is about 60% of the pace most weeks of 2010.
Technology topped the list, as Siemens IT Solutions announced over 4,200 worldwide layoffs. Pharma came in second as Abbott is cutting 3,000 staff worldwide and Bristol-Meyers Squibb announced it’s cutting 840 worldwide positions.
Government was next as New York State announced it's trimming 2,000 positions statewide. Aerospace company Cessna is cutting 700 workers, while Hawker Beechcraft is laying off 350 employees, both from their respective Wichita KS facilities.
Banking rounded out the list as Bank of America announced up to 400 layoffs in various US locations.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 9/20/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 9/24/10:
- Siemens IT Solutions and Services, Various Worldwide (4,200)
- Abbott Laboratories, Various Worldwide (3,000)
- New York State, Various NY (2,000)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb, Various Worldwide (~ 840)
- Cessna Aircraft, Wichita KS (700)
- Bank of America, Various US (< 400)
- Hawker Beechcraft, Wichita KS (350)
- Mental Health Services, Baton Rouge LA (250)
- Ford Motor Company, Indianapolis IN (249)
- UC Berkeley's Operational Excellence campaign, Berkeley CA (200)
- Waldbaum's, West Hartford CT (195)
- Sea Ray, Palm Coast FL (170)
- Ericsson, Boulder CO (150)
- AT&T, New Haven CT & Reynoldsburg OH (246)
- Dillards, Coral Springs FL and Miami FL (128)
- City of Spokane WA (120)
- Broome County, Ninghamton NY (115)
- City of Fort Worth TX (102)
- Chevron Corp, Richmond CA (100)
- Lenoir Memorial Hospital, Kinston NC (100)
- Orion Technology, Anniston AL (94)
- Equistar Chemicals, Newton Square PA (93)
- Hamilton County, Cincinnati OH (85)
- Old Vineyard Behavioral Health Services, Winston-Salem NC (80+)
- StarTek, Greeley CO (76)
- Children’s Hospital and Health System, Milwaukee WI (75)
- Cumberland Heights Dependency Treatment Center, Nashville TN (63)
- DMI Furniture, Huntingburg IN (62)
- Grocery Haulers, Bronx NY (61)
- Lockheed Martin, Herndon VA (59)
- John Deere Seeding Group, Valley City N.D (55)
- State of Pennsylvania, Various PA (50)
- DC Entertainment, NYC NY (< 50)
- City of Salamanca NY (49)
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge MA (~45)
- Ocean Bank, Miami FL (38)
- Nortel Networks, Nashville TN (35)
- Coldwell Banker Devonshire Realty, Jacksonville FL (31)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Page: <1> <2>
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email.
or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Who’s Hiring – Top employers week of 9-20-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs week ended 9-17-10
Career Changers: Email phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".