Top Layoffs week ended 9-17:
Job cuts were down for the past four weeks as less than 50 organizations announced layoffs of over 30 or more employees - this is about 2/3 of the pace most weeks of 2010.
Transportation topped the list, as FedEx services announced over 1,700 layoffs affecting its employees at various US locations while Boeing trimmed 400 employees throughout the US.. Biotech came in second as Genzyme is cutting 1,000 staff from its Cambridge MA operations.
Technology was next as Dell announced 975 layoffs at two NC facilities. Hospitality company Mohegan Sun is cutting 475 workers due to lower tourist attendance and stays, while the Las Vegas Plaza Hotel is laying off 400 employees.
Retail rounded out the list as A & P announced 416 layoffs from 4 Connecticut locations, while Rite-Aid cut 388 workers from its Rome NY operations.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as some from the same sectors appeared on the “Who’s Hiring” article published 9/13/10.
Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs for the week ended 9/17/10:
- FedEx Corp, Various US (1,700)
- Genzyme Corp, Cambridge MA (1,000)
- Dell, Kernersville NC and Winston-Salem NC (975)
- Mohegan Sun, Uncasville CT (475)
- The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co, Branford CT, Middletown CT, Old Lyme CT, Mystic CT (416)
- Plaza Hotel, Las Vegas NV (400+)
- Boeing, Various US (400)
- Sara Lee Corp, Various US (390)
- Rite Aid Corporation, Rome NY (388)
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Dubuque IA (350)
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon NH (300)
- Community Bankers Trust, Various VA, MD, GA (290)
- Los Angeles Community Redevelopment Agency, Los Angeles CA (270)
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX (216)
- International Automotive Components (IAC), Greencastle IN (202)
- Con-Way, Portland OR (200)
- North Memorial Hospital, Robbinsdale MN (200)
- North Dallas Holdings LLC - Regency Hospital, Carrollton TX (155)
- North Texas Tollway Authority, Various TX (140)
- Jacobs Engineering, Clear Lake CA (129)
- Boston Medical Center, Boston MA (119)
- Georgia-Pacific, Roxboro NC (118)
- Peter Cooper Village, New York NY (115)
- Freedom Financial Network LLC, Sacramento CA (120)
- City of Pontiac MI (104)
- Apex Tool Group, Hanover MD (100+)
- Dallas County Constable's office, Dallas TX (~ 100)
- ACS Xerox Co. Atlanta GA (93)
- Chromalloy Gas Turbine Corporation, Carson City NV (91)
- Sitel, Longview TX (90)
- Crothall Services Group, West Palm Beach FL (79)
- Federal-Mogul, Boyertown PA (73)
- The Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago IL (70)
- Eastman Kodak Co, New York NY (67)
- Cruise West, Seattle WA (65)
- Aerospace Testing Alliance, Tullahoma TN (64)
- American Cast Iron Pipe Co, Birmingham AL (59)
- Field Museum, Chicago IL (50)
- Miami Herald, Miami FL (49)
- The Men's Wearhouse, Fife WA (42)
- Victaulic, Forks Township PA (42)
- Akron Police Department, Akron OH (40)
- Sangamon County, Springfield IL (37)
- Realtime Worlds, Boulder CO (33)
- Chula Vista Police Department, Chula Vista CA (< 33)
- TAMKO Building Products, Phillipsburg KS (32)
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Page: <1> <2>
Like this article?
Subscribe here and have daily tips delivered to your email.
or delivered to your RSS reader.
For access to more information:
Become a fan of reCareered on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/reCareered/21126045429
Join Career Change Central on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1800872
Who’s Hiring – Top employers week of 9-13-10
Who's Firing – Layoffs week ended 9-10-10
Career Changers: Email phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".