Job seekers: You might want to look in greener pastures than these companies.
Layoffs announced and rumored this week were in the Government, Technology, Healthcare, Telecommunications, Manufacturing, Engineering, Financial Services, Publishing, Government, Aerospace, Pharmaceuticals, Insurance, and Telecommunication sectors.
Inclusion on this listing doesn’t mean the entire industry is down, as many from the same sector appeared on the Who’s Hiring? article on 9/25/09. It is interesting to note that while Federal hiring is on the rise, a number of State and Local governments are facing cutbacks.
Organizations announcing or rumored layoffs week ended 9/28/09:
- King County, WA (Government) - 376
- MediaRing (Technology) - 50
- Zounds (Healthcare) - 150
- NY Administration for Children’s Services (Government) – 38
- Lake County IN (Government) - 150
- Emory University (Education) - 27
- Greenheck Fan Corporation (Manufacturing) – 70
- Johnson Controls (Engineering) – 300
- City of Bromfield, CO (Government) - unknown
- Citigroup (Financial Services) – est 2,000
- Wells Fargo, Wilkesboro NC (Financial Services) - 70
- CQ-Roll Call Group (Publishing) – 44
- Rexam Packaging, Hamlet NC (Manufacturing) - 220
- Beaumont Hospital (Health Care) - 353
- BAE Systems (Manufacturing) – 200
- Buckhorn (Manufacturing) – 88
- UBS Wealth Management (Financial Services) - 200
- Wyeth (Pharmaceuticals) – unknown
- Pfizer (Pharmaceuticals) - unknown
- Prett & Whitney (Aerospace) – 1,000
- Manitowoc County WI (Government) – 34
- Wellpoint (Insurance) - unknown
- Tyco Telecommunication (Telecommunication) - unknown
- City of Salinas, CA (Government) – 61
- Harley Davidson, York County, PA (Manufacturing) – 70+
- Akron, Inc (Technology) – unknown
- Coviden (Healthcare) – 70
- Nortel (Technology) – 400
Readers – If you know of employers announcing significant layoff plans, or employers reducing large numbers of employees, please comment below to add to this list.
Executives exploring Career Change: For a free 30 minute resume consultation, or career advice for executives, email your resume confidentially to reCareered (phil.reCareered@gmail.com), and we'll schedule a time to talk.
Staff, Managers, Entrepreneurs, and career changers outside the US: Send your resume to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".