Tuesday, June 24, 2008

How SHRM Helped Me Get My Dog a Job

My dog Tuanis (Costa Rican for “The Good Life”) is the sweetest, smartest dog I’ve ever owned. She lives to have her belly or ears scratched, is a wonderful doorbell, and protects my home against unwanted junk mail. But mostly, she sleeps.

All that’s about to change, because it’s time for Tuanis to pull her weight around here, and start bringing home some bacon. So, sweet Tuanis, it’s time for you to get a job.

Fortunately, I met with SimplyHired’s team at SHRM today, because they have just the tools to help me get my dog a job. If I was looking, they have some great tools for me also, reviewed at The Secret to Getting SimplyHired. But this is about Tuanis, not me.

SimplyHired has a special search for dog friendly companies. For instance, if I wanted to get Tuanis a job as (let’s say) a recruiter within walking distance (she doesn’t drive), I’d search under recruit, enter my zip code, and check the box for “Choose only dog friendly companies”.

There were two listed in my zip code. Tuanis could recruit for an animal hospital chain, or be an inside sales manager for a national recruiting firm.

Now if she gave me lots of kisses, and brought me my slippers to convince me to drive her and not be so controlling about her career choice, there are 89 new jobs in the Chicago area at dog friendly companies. Of course, many of those career choices would require me to transport her, and help her with the day to day duties, since I’m the one with opposable thumbs.

SimplyHired has other special search tools also:

Mom-friendly jobs (Don’t worry Mom, just because I’m putting the dog to work, doesn’t mean you have to ditch retirement)
Age 50+ friendly jobs
Eco-Friendly jobs (Wear your green tie!)
GLBT jobs

I got so much detail about SimplyHired’s site and search tools, that I’ll have to cover in later articles, but you can check them out yourself at SimplyHired Special Searches.

Mom, that nursing home is getting expensive….there’s 6 Mom friendly jobs, and 556 age 50+ jobs in your little home town.

Maybe you can commute with Tuanis!

If you’d like more information, a free 30 minute resume consultation, or some advice about your career transition, just email your resume to reCareered at phil.recareered@gmail.com, and we'll schedule a time to talk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Phil, looks like I have some recourse if my wife says "it's me or the dog."