So what’s all the fuss over Job Search 2.0?
Web 2.0 is the interactive web, where users provide the content. Why does that matter to a job seeker?
Because Web 2.0 gives every job seeker the opportunity to promote subject matter expertise. Web 2.0 gives multiple formats and platforms and tools to allow job seekers to announce to the world “I know my stuff!”.
In addition, Web 2.0 can help job seekers get found on Google, Yahoo, and other popular search engines.
So what does Web 2.0 look like? Here’s a listing of my favorite 50 Web 2.0 sites for job seekers:
- LinkedIN – Social Network, primarily business www.linkedin.com
- FaceBook – Social Network, business and personal www.facebook.com
- MySpace – Social network, primarily personal www.myspace.com
- Ning – Private Social networks www.ning.com
- Plaxo – Contact synchronizer www.plaxo.com
- ZoomInfo – Business directory www.zoominfo.com
- Spoke – Business Directory & Social network www.spoke.com
- Jigsaw – Business Directory & Social Network www.jigsaw.com
- YouTube – User generated video www.youtube.com
- Twitter – Text-like social network www.twitter.com
- Pownce – File Sharing social network www.pownce.com
, Closed in 2009
- Flickr – User Generated Photo sharing www.flickr.com
- Zooomr – User generated photo sharing and text for mobile www.zooomr.com
- Yahoo Answers – User generated questions and answers www.answers.yahoo.com/
- LinkedIN Answers – User generated questions and answers www.linkedin.com
- Google Answers – User generated questions and answers www.answers.google.com/answers/ , Closed in 2009
- FaceBook Groups – Common interest based groups www.facebook.com
- Yahoo Groups – Common interest based groups www.groups.yahoo.com
- Google Groups – Common interest based groups www.groups.google.com
- Grou.ps – Common interest based groups www.grou.ps
- Blogger – Blog platform www.blogger.com
- Wordpress – Blog platform www.wordpress.org
- Typepad – Blog platform www.typepad.com
- Del.icio.us – Social bookmarking www.del.icio.us
- Ma.gnolia – Social bookmarking www.ma.gnolia , Closed for redevelopment - expected to reopen Fall '09
- Furl – Social Bookmarking www.furl.com
- Reddit – Submit, vote on, and rank news www.reddit.com
- Digg – User submitted reviews of websites, services, blogs www.digg.com
- Technorati – User reviews of what’s happening on the live web www.technorati.com
- StumbleUpon – User reviews and web channel surfing www.stumbleupon.com
- Pandora – User defined internet radio www.pandora.com
- Last.fm – User defined Internet radio www.last.fm
- Skype – Social network, IM, and VOIP www.skype.com
- Jaxtr – VOIP linked to websites, blogs and social networks www.jaxtr.com
- Fon – By, sell, and share wifi connections www.fon.com
- Meebo – Web based multi platform IM www.meebo.com
- Google Maps – Mashup maps with other data www.maps.google.com
- Yahoo Maps – Mashup maps with other data www.maps.yahoo.com
- Google Calendar – Shared and mashup calendars www.google.com/calendar
- Evite – User generated invitations and events www.evite.com
- Meetup – User generated special interest group meeting listings www.meetup.com
- Eventful – Create and share events www.eventful.com
- Favorville – People helping people www.favorville.com
- Prosper – Peer to Peer lending www.prosper.com
- Indeed – Job listing aggregator www.indeed.com
- SimplyHired – Job listing aggregator, also on LinkedIN www.simplyhired.com
- FeedDemon – Manage RSS feeds www.feeddemon.com
- Wikipedia – User created encyclopedia www.wikipedia.com
- Razume – User submitted resumes, professional community review & Feedback www.Razume.com
- Clusty – Cluster Search results in folders www.clusty.com
This is just a list of my favorites. There are hundreds of Web 2.0 tools available on the web today.
How will you Web 2.0 your job search?
Executives exploring Career Change: For a free 30 minute resume consultation, or career advice for executives, email your resume confidentially to reCareered (phil.reCareered@gmail.com), and we'll schedule a time to talk.
Staff, Managers, Entrepreneurs, and career changers outside the US: Send your resume to phil.reCareered@gmail.com to enroll in a free group teleseminar "Accelerate Your Job Search - tools you can use".